Callahan Steven

18 Dec

Now that the early Christmas present I bought myself (a Chromebook) is here, I’ll be able to keep up easier with the outside world. Trying to blog/surf the web/shop online is a nightmare on my phone- I figured if I wanted to keep my phone intact and not chuck it at the wall every time I tried to access the internet from it I had better buy a laptop. Soooo, I can finally update my blog about Mr. Callahans early arrival.

Monday November 25th I went to work (I still had 2 weeks left before my resignation to be a stay at home mommy) and felt perfectly fine all day. Around 9 at night I started to feel sick (like I was going to throw up) but tried to fall asleep and thought it would go away. But after tossing and turning for a few hours I finally got up and did end up getting sick. Blech.

I tried to go back to sleep because usually after you throw up you feel pretty good and that sick feeling in your tummy goes away. But mine didn’t. After getting up about 3 more times and waking up the husband (I’m not a quiet thrower-upper. ((I promise there’s a point to all this throw up talk))) I decided to be a nice wifey and go sleep on the couch in the living room. By then it was 1 in the morning. & I continued to throw up every 20-30 minutes for the next 7 hours.

Tuesday morning at 9 I called my doctor’s office because I was supposed to have an appointment that afternoon (I was 36 weeks so I was going in every week now) and tell them I couldn’t come in because I was sick. The nurse called me back and asked what was wrong, why couldn’t I come in. I told her I had literally been throwing up non stop all night and was too weak and sick to go in. She said that I had to go to the hospital right away because throwing up makes you dehydrated (this I knew) and that being dehydrated can possibly cause contractions (this I didn’t know).

So off I went (Don’t worry I didn’t drive myself!) to the Labor and Delivery floor at the hospital to get an I.V. of fluids to re-hydrate me. Easy peasy, right?

After 2 bags of fluid and 5 hours (I did not expect to be there that long!) of lying in a hospital bed with a heart rate monitor for the baby and one monitor for contractions, the nurse noticed I had been having contractions for quite a while. “You can’t feel those??” She asked me. “Nope.” I replied. “Did you feel your contractions at the beginning of your labor with your first child?” “Nope.” I said again. & sure enough, she told me I was in labor.

Since I was 36 weeks, they couldn’t do anything to stop the labor- but they weren’t going to do anything to speed it up. My doctor was hoping the contractions would subside, and that I would be able to go home (Even with another 2 bags of fluid they hadn’t stopped and being dilated to 4 but not progressing with the continued contractions was baffling to the nurses and my doctor) but after a few hours it got to the point where I could start to feel my contractions and I was like, “EPIDURAL PLEASE K THANKS!”

The epidural I had with Braxtyn only worked on my left side and I delivered him really soon after I had gotten the shot so I ended up being able to still move my legs around on my own. Not so much this time.

I got my epidural around 7 or 8 on Tuesday evening and didn’t end up delivering Callahan until roughly 20 hours later. Now, you may think if you’re numb from the waist down it’d be super comfortable and way easy to sleep. Nooo. I’ve never been so uncomfortable in my life. I mean, I know I was in labor and everything, but not being able to toss and turn on your own (darn you numb legs!) while trying to sleep is a betch.

So, that was 2 nights in a row that I got no sleep. Not ideal when you’re having a baby.

The next morning I was still only at a 4 (Ugh- what! We have to get to a 10 here, people!) A few hours later I was finally at a 5 but still only halfway there and at the rate I was going I would be there for days, or so it felt. Finally they gave me a low dose of pitocin. After a couple of hours my doctor broke my water and about 10 minutes later I found myself using that little button connected to the epidural to give me some extra medication because guess what?! I was at a 10 finally! Woo hoo!

About 5 minutes later Mr. Callahan Steven made his arrival at 4 lb. 15 oz. and complete perfection ❀ He may have been 4 weeks early but he was healthy and that is all that mattered.

Moral of the story? Don’t get a 24 hour flu bug when you’re only 36 weeks pregnant- you could walk into the hospital thinking your going to get re-hydrated and end up walking out with the sweetest little baby πŸ˜‰


4 Responses to “Callahan Steven”

  1. andy1076 December 18, 2013 at 10:55 pm #

    What a journey to bringing little callahan to the world! How’s B? excited to help you with his new little brother? πŸ™‚

    • ellejay419 December 18, 2013 at 11:05 pm #

      Braxtyn just LOVES his little brother! He’s a great helper too πŸ™‚

      • andy1076 December 18, 2013 at 11:27 pm #

        You did an awesome job raising him πŸ™‚

Say something!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: